After 20 years implementing document scanning and document management services throughout New England, I have seen the industry undergo an evolution. From data entry and microfilming to cloud-based document management systems, there have been a lot of beneficial advancements.
Here are five things you need to know about document scanning and document management services:
- Paperless for all. Technology is continually becoming more accessible and affordable, meaning robust, full-featured document management software is available to all. No matter what your company’s size, you can benefit from implementing a document scanning and document management solution. Just a few years ago, this technology could only be afforded by large Fortune 500 companies.
- Moving to the cloud. Cloud-based services are the preferred choice of many companies because of its secure web-based 24/7 availability, redundancy, 99.9% uptime, and the fact that it requires no capital investment or additional IT support. Scan your paper, store it in the cloud and retrieve it anywhere in the world from any web browser.
- Garbage in, garbage out. A major benefit of digitizing your paper documents is the ability to accurately and reliably index key fields so you can find the documents you need instantly. If your documents aren’t indexed correctly, they’re just as useful as lost documents. Automated indexing services have improved the accuracy rate of data capture.
- Hidden inefficiencies. Using a multi-function device to scan your documents and storing them in a Windows folder environment on a server is a good first step towards document management. However, there are many inefficiencies and hidden costs utilizing this method. Utilizing an inexpensive document scanner with full-featured document scanning software can easily take your scanning to the next step.
- It’s easier and less expensive than you think. Working with an outsourced document management company eliminates the headache and reduces the cost of going paperless. Let a certified document scanning company scan your documents, index them, and host them in a document management system so you can focus on your core responsibilities.
Document management is in reach for your company and is easier than ever. Remember these 5 lessons when searching for a document scanning company that is right for you.