This is part 2 of 2 in a series that identifies how to manage and process HR documents better, faster and less expensively.
After stopping unnecessary paper from being created with e-forms (covered in Part 1), scanning your backfile of HR documents offers the following benefits:
- Captures both active and inactive employee files for easy retrieval
- Keeps I-9s separate from other employee files more easily, a legal requirement
- Reduces your company’s exposure of losing documents or not finding them fast enough during an audit or lawsuit
- Reclaims space from filing cabinets and file rooms
- Eliminates the capital expense of documents scanners/software and all labor costs involved with this time-consuming process
Where Do I Store Electronic HR Records?
Once digitized, storing electronic HR records in a document management system offers the following benefits over using a shared drive or cloud file sharing service:
- Facilitates secure collaboration through easy document sharing
- Allows for retention scheduling for every document type – from 1 year to 7 years after an employee is no longer with a company to permanent record keeping
- Enables document tracking and audit trails
- Offers instant, secure access to all documents from anywhere, including remote workers on smartphones, tablets and laptops
- Ensures security and access levels, defined on a per document basis
Why Use Cloud & Mobile Document Management?
Storing documents in the cloud allows instant access to documents from anywhere via a web browser, including remote workers on smartphones, tablets and laptops. Cloud document management software offers the additional benefit of ensuring that prying eyes never have access to sensitive employee information, especially I-9s and medical information. This is critical for reducing your company’s exposure to fines and lawsuits.
If the cloud doesn’t make sense for your organization, document management software is also available to be hosted on your internal servers.
Can I Access Electronic HR Records in My HRMS/HCM System?
When you use the right partner, your document management software can be integrated with your HRMS and HCM systems, such as ADP, Sage HCM, Oracle PeopleSoft, SAP, Infor Lawson, Epicor, Workday, etc. This allows your team to view search and retrieve documents directly from within your HRMS or HCM interface, which saves them from having to switch back and forth between applications.
Because the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) covers any document containing employee medical information and identifying information (e.g. social security number, driver’s license, name, date of birth, etc.), it’s important to find a document scanning and management company with a HIPAA trained staff. This is essential because the staff knows how to handle sensitive data and the importance of ensuring the security of your documents.
Streamlining the new employee on-boarding process with e-forms and scanning your existing HR documents was just the beginning. Workflow automation software can also help you optimize efficiency of expense reporting, employee reviews, vacation approvals, promotions, and off-boarding – and that’s just in HR.
The same system can be used to streamline accounts payable, accounts receivable, shipping, maintenance, and just about any other business or operational process.Contact Us to Scan HR Files